Deciding whether to repair or fix your gutters can be a tough decision. You do not want to spend money on unnecessary replacements, but you do not also want to make a repair that will not last long. The following guidelines will help you decide whether to replace or repair. The best advice will come from a consultation with an experienced roofing contractor.
Professional repair can be done in the following instances:
- If the gutter damage is localized and has only affected one section, or a few separate sections.
- If there are small cracks or a few holes.
- If there is a leaking seam or a single joint is loose.
- If only a few hangers are loose.
Gutter replacement is necessary for the following circumstances:
- Many repairs need to be done. For instance, if you gutters have many holes, cracks and rust spots then it is wise to replace them.
- When the hangers will not stay screwed in. If you have tried fastening the hangers and they keep sliding, then it is time to replace them. The same case applies to rotten boards.
- If you find that gutter sections keep separating, then it is easier to have them replaced.
- An incorrect or sagging pitch may call for a replacement. You can replace new gutters with correctly pitched ones, and this will improve the water flow.
If you notice heavy denting or buckling. This can be caused when a huge branch falls on the gutters or when a ladder is left leaning on the gutter for too long.
Signs of water damage on the roof should not be ignored. The roofing contractor will check if the gutters are clogged and if there is water damage, then it will be recommended to have the gutter system replaced.
If properly installed, gutters and gutter guards last for a long time. It is wise to work with a professional roofer for quality advice, installations, repairs, and maintenance.
They will advise you on the best type of gutters to use and how to maintain them. The quality of the installation and the choice of gutters will also have a direct impact on the roof. This is why it needs to be handled by an experienced and trustworthy roofing contractor.